Should I send out Christmas cards this year?

By , December 14, 2009 4:43 pm

I’m down to the last minute.  Christmas Eve is in ten days and I haven’t sent out Christmas cards.  Last year I decided I was going to forego Christmas cards using the “just-moved-into-our-house-with-brand-new-baby” excuse, then I cracked on 20 December.  That’s right.  Five days before Christmas I changed my mind, haphazardly designed a card on Shutterfly, and sent it out in time to say “Happy New Year!”

It’s not that I don’t love Christmas cards.  I love getting Christmas cards from friends, especially our military friends, that we rarely see.  The pictures are always adorable and the letters informative.  Well, most of the letters are informative.  I must admit there are one or two distant friends of friends, or long-lost relatives that have sent letters detailing how hard it is for their two-year-old to NOT write in Latin or how they decided their ten day cruise off of St. Bart’s was a little on the long side.  I have never written a Christmas letter to include with our Christmas card, but I’m pretty sure no one wants to hear about the fifteenth time our dog, Hazel, decided to pee in the back office because she was jealous we didn’t take HER along to the park or how our pet-worm colony is doing in the basement (Yes, these are both true.  Worm post to come in a few.)

Anyway, so I really need help.  I have a bunch of cardstock and envelopes that I could use (don’t tell Zeke they were originally intended for his birth announcement that kinda didn’t happen).  And I was thinking about this photo …
Man, I love these boys!
When I asked Hubby last night if we should send them he said, “Nobody cares if they get a Christmas card from us.  Let’s just not do it this year.”  So I need to know, does no one care?  What do you think about Christmas cards?  Anyone?

© 2009, FROM MILITARY TO MOM. All rights reserved.

Related posts:

1. Merry Christmas!
  2. Aarhaus Christmas Letter 2009
  3. Easy Advent calendar for kids 2011
  4. Update to DIA Welcome Home Christmas Celebration
  5. Easy Advent Calendar Ideas for Kids

8 Responses to “Should I send out Christmas cards this year?”

1. jen says:

I made the switch to e-cards, mainly because it’s easier to keep track of peoples’ email addresses than their mailing addresses, but also because I’m cheap & don’t like blowing $25 on postage. Hallmark’s website has fun, free templates that you can add multiple pictures to.

2. Amy says:

I am definitely phasing out the paper Christmas cards. I love to get them, but the expense is hard to justify given the ability to do electronic. Suffice to say, e-mail me a copy of that intensely cute fam pic and I’ll print it up and stick it on my fridge. That counts. :)

3. Megan says:

Christmas card time is one of my favorite times of the year. I love getting stacks of cards in the mail, getting to sit down and read the news-filled letters. Christmas cards get displayed at our house for several months, and I each time I walk by them I think about and pray for the families represented there. I would be sad if the tradition died out…

4. Laura says:

I love Christmas Cards. Although I have to say when you accidentally get the cards that need extra postage, it gets a little pricey!

5. Robbie Kay says:

A little late to weigh in, but here’s my two cents. I’m not a card person. I usually forget when I go to showers, weddings, parties, etc to attach one to the gift because they just aren’t a big deal to me. However, I love photos. So I am thrilled when I receive photo cards and wondering why we didn’t have the sense to do them. The only thing is we’ve received some in strange sizes, so I’m struggling with how to “store” them. Had considered the fridge like Amy, but worry about them getting mucked up. When I try to cook it looks like Amelia Bedelia’s been in the kitchen.

6. I.love.Christmas.cards. I love hearing from friends and family and how their year has gone. (Facebook is making this a shorter list of people, but still–status updates are not the same). It is a bunch of hassle. It can start to get a little pricey. Getting a pic together and updating your address list are a pain. But, I love it. I think it extends a courtesy to people you don’t see very often and let’s them know that they are important to you and worth the effort to remain in contact with. :)

7. Oh, and as for storage, we have a Christmas basket we put them in. I have kept the pictures and stuff from the last several years in a box after Christmas as I hate to just throw them out, and I may actually stick them in some sort of album. It would be fun to be able to look back at families over the years. Ya know, if they sent you a picture. :)

8. Alyssa says:

Thanks for the input, ladies! I wrote a letter on the website this year, but loved getting cards so much I will definitely return the favor next year.
    I store my Christmas cards in with my photo albums by cropping them down to just pictures and pasting the pictures on a scrapbook page. The page inserts nicely in the back of my albums.